Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gown and Out

For as long as I can remember the women in my life have worn what they have called nightgowns. In the evening, after the days activities are done and after they bathe, they put on their nightgowns and relax before going to bed. Sounds pretty normal, right? At least for women. (Yes. I realize that men and boys have been known to wear nightgowns.) There are a few things that I have never been able to figure out about nightgowns.

Why a long, loose fitting "dress"? What is it that makes a gown the preferred type of clothing for relaxing and preparing for bed? I understand that a hundred years ago, or longer, left over or scrap material could be fashioned into a gown, thus saving money. People just didn't pop into their local super mega store and pick up lounge wear. They had to make it out of whatever they had. We have all heard the flour sack stories. But today we can have just about anything, for pennies. What about some soft comfy shorts and a t-shirt? Winter? Sweats and a sweat shirt.

Another thing I don't really understand is why women in these gowns can't be photographed. I can't tell you how many times I have been about to take a picture and the woman in the room says to not include her because she is "in her gown". Just the other night my daughter was doing something cute with my wife and I wanted to capture it for posterity's sake, so I could print it and put it in a scrapbook with some of those stickers that I love, but I had to be extra careful not to include my wife because she "was in here gown." Like people a hundred years from now won't know that women wore gowns because there are no photos of women in them. It reminds me of those peoples that thought their souls would be sucked out if their pictures were taken. Why when you wear a gown does it keep you from being in a picture?

Is it because of a sense fashion? Do these gowns not meet the level of fashion required to be photographed in? If so, why not make gowns out of an eye pleasing, fashionable material that people would not be embarrassed to be photographed in? We can put a man on the moon. We can send images through the air, thousands of miles, to be received and viewed by others. Surely the clothing industry can make a cloth that is of a current color and pattern that can be made comfortable and worthy of being in a picture. I am sure that a nip here and a tuck there could be done, at little expense, to aid in the look of the gown, without sacrificing comfort. Women have no problem being photographed in a t-shirt. So the t-shirt is floor length. Put a flower design or some of those blingy shinny bead looking things on it and, lo and behold, you can now have your picture taken in it.

No comments: