Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Some Like It Hot

Some like it hot and some don't.  Me?  I like it on the cooler side.

I built a house a few years ago on some land my parents gave me.  Ten acres in the country.  It was a chance to include any options that I wanted.  There was a guy named Mike that was more or less a consultant for me.  I asked him questions about house building.  He made suggestions about house building.  Two suggestions I'm glad I followed.  1) Put in a zoned A/C system and 2) use spray foam insulation.

A zoned system is just what it sounds like.  I have three zones in my house.  Upstairs, downstairs, and my bedroom (also downstairs). I can set them at different temperatures, and I do.  I keep my bedroom on the cool side, especially when I sleep.

Spray foam insulation is great at maintaining my desired temp.  It allows me to keep my house cooler than I might be able to afford otherwise.  Sure, it was a bit more money to install, but the electric bills have been great.

There is just something wonderful about climbing in a bed, with blankets piled on, when the room is cold.  Not those junky blankets, but the heavy ones that are noticeable when you are under them.  My mom made one such blanket for me years ago.  Maroon and white.  It is perfect for winter bed cover.

Sometimes, when I first get in, I have to thrash my legs from side to side to warm up the bed slightly.  Some might say it looks a little weird, but I'm sure we all do it. Another thing I like about cold sleeping is when I move my body, or more specifically, when I move my legs (after the initial warm-up).  It's like moving in and conquering a new territory.  My legs are cold again and the sensation is fresh.

Sometimes I don't move.  I can't move.  I am just a still as I can be, on my back, enjoying the cold.  Maybe it's like that calm you get before you freeze to death.  I have heard that after a while, before you die, you just want to go to sleep.  Maybe it's like that, but you don't die.

My wife will disagree, but you just sleep better when it's cold.

No comments: