Friday, August 21, 2009

Huh?

I have a DVR. If you don't have one, I recommend it. Aside from being able to pause tv, you can set it to record programs (up to a hundred hours on mine). I enjoy being able to fast forward commercials and useless crap in a lot of programming today. I don't have to listen to Paula Abdul drone on about haw special someone is or how good they look or how they are true to themselves. Huh? I can hit the skip button and she is done. I can watch an hour program in about 24 1/2 minutes.

And sports. I can watch a baseball game, extra innings and all, in about 8 minutes. I can see every great golf shot in super fast mode. Cool stuff.

Usually if I want to watch a live show I will hit the pause button, wait about 20 minutes, and then be able to skip most of the commercials. Now, on occasion I do watch a program live. I couldn't believe a couple of commercials I saw within about 5 minutes of each other.

You have seen the bleeding heart ad that try to get you to give them your money. They often include an idiot movie or tv personality ("this is a paid advertisement") that uses his skill at lying to make you feel like a pile of dung because you have a nice house or few bucks in your pocket or are rich, while everyone else in the world is starving or is a victim of a big evil business or is going through a disaster or is suffering from some disease.

The two I saw were about fat kids and starving kids. I never knew that 6 in 10 kids were suffering from obesity. The reasons why, in my opinion, are a subject of another, future, post. What I couldn't understand was the next ad that caught my attention was asking for money to help starving kids. I mean, who doesn't want to help a starving kid, but guess how many kids in America are STARVING. Yep. You got it. 6 in 10.

How in the world can 60% of kids be too fat, AND, 60% of kids be starving. WTH. (That's text lingo for what the heck.) That would mean that every time you see a kid in a playground he is either obese or starving, or maybe both!

El Toro Negro




No comments: