Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Well, it is on top of us as I write this.  As of now we have 1.25" of rain and lots of wind.  Yesterday we spent several hours picking up anything that might be picked up and blown into the house.  Wood, boards, toys, yard art (no pink flamingos).  The buckets and kiddy pool were filled with water in case the power goes out for very long.  I cranked the generator and ran it for about half an hour to make sure it was going to work.  I have a cord made up so that I can hook it to the well if I need to.  As of now we still have power but if it goes out I guess we will sleep in the "sewing room" because it has a window unit in it.  We are hearing that there is a cool front coming after the storm so it may not be too bad.  I just hope that the power doesn't go out.  Thankfully we don't have Entergy any longer and now are on a co-op that has been very good about keeping the power flowing.  

We just built a new house.  Moved in in April.  We are praying that all goes well with our family.  My brother in law lives in Beaumont and we are hearing that the water is pretty high and then add the wind.  

Our congregation has been assigned, by the church, a congregation in League City to take in at our building.  They started showing up Thursday.  The men of our congregation are taking turns, 6 hour shifts, acting as building representatives.  My shift was Friday 6pm to midnight. The greatest thing about these evacuees is that they bring all their own supplies, clean up after themselves, and don't think they are "owed" anything.  What a huge difference from the last time we had people come to our high school for Rita.  What a mess.  Some people thing that everything should be done for them.  How about drink one less beer a day and save that money and buy an extra tooth brush, or bar of soap.  Ever heard of a 72 hour kit.  How dare me!  That's the government's job.  

On a lighter note I did write down, during my shift, about thirty new topics to cover here on Glimpses of Normalcy.  So keep checking back from time to time.  Also, I will try and get some more pictures up.

El Toro Negro


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im the biggest fan of this Blog hehe, i hope that you put more pictures in the blog that will be better, and everything is going to be alright about Ike, im sure we have to pray, but hey! we are going to have a cold tiem after hehehe wuptiduu!
Saludos Toro Negro


ate> Anonimo