Saturday, February 14, 2009

If it tastes good Spit it out!!

Where I grew up there was a very old man that lived nearby and went to the same church as we did.  He was well known, or rather we made fun of him for his health practices.  He was always growing weird crap in his house, wheat sprouts, herbs and stuff I can't spell or pronounce.  Now granted this dude was old, and had lived a long life.  His grandson was in the same grade as me and we were pretty good friends.  One of the things this friend would say about his grandpa was that his health rule was crazy.  "If it tastes good, spit it out".  We all thought it was funny.

I have friends that are always trying to eat healthy.  I think that is a good thing.  One should be smart and attempt to do his best to eat healthy and exercise. And then I have a friend or two that are fanatical.  To me it is dumb.  They never deviate from eating unappealing food.  Not even one doughnut on Fridays at work.  

I told this one friend at work just this Friday that the apple (I like apples) she was eating was going to kill her, or the banana, or the carrot, or the tofu.  She had no idea what I was talking about.  If you think about it no matter what we eat we are going to die.  So in essence eating an apple will kill you too.  

Oh sure, there is the argument that eating healthy ALL the time will add a few years to your life.  But as my buddy at work explained, when would you want those years added to your life.  They will be at the end of your life, when you are senile, slobbering and spilling food when you eat, farting and not knowing it, and likely having to wear diapers so you don't crap yourself.  Wow, we all want more of those years.  

Then there are folks like my wife's grandparents.  They are well into their eighties.  They have always eaten pretty much what they want.  They eat fried food, and sweets as well as plenty of vegetables.  Granted, they take a few pills for various reasons, but for the most part they are very healthy and happy.  

Wouldn't it be more pleasant to live well and happy, eat what you want and then one day die of a massive coronary?  Over and done.  

El Toro Negro

No comments: