Thursday, March 19, 2009

Going Both Ways

When I was attending Texas A&M a couple of years ago I met a guy at church that became a good friend almost instantly. We ended up working together.  He and his wife even moved close to where we were living until he graduated.  We spent a lot of time together playing cards and dominoes (42 mostly).  

He, like myself, had gone on a mission for our church.  That gave us a lot to talk about.  He had been sent to Argentina and learned Spanish.  As you already know I am learning Spanish and have always wanted to learn.  He would teach me a word or two here and there.

So, all of that to tell you about the picture.

He told me that they used the bus system almost every day in Argentina.  When they would get on the bus they would get a slip of paper with a number on it.  A transfer slip, I think. (I'm not all that familiar with bus systems.)  As missionaries they would look for a number on their slip that was the same forwards as backwards.  It was like a good omen or something.  They had a word for it.  Se llama copiacoa (palindrome). I'm not sure of the spelling or even if it is a real word in Spanish.  I think not.

Ever since he told me about that I have always notices when numbers are the same forwards and backwards.  The picture below is one I saw recently.  















El Toro Negro

No comments: