Monday, March 16, 2009

So High, So Low

It is my job to ask the questions that everyone is thinking, but are too proper to verbalize.  I know you think them too.

One thing in life is to try and see yourself in other peoples shoes, or in this case, wheelchair.

The thing I have been trying to understand is some of the accommodations that are needed by them.  You have seen them.  They are in every public restroom.  

Now take the toilets.  They are so high, super high.  You need one of those chain hoists to raise yourself up to sit down.  I have seen these toilets in old-folks homes and some hospitals.  It must be helpful.  I think I have been told that it makes it easier to actually get of the toilet.  But then that begs to question, "Doesn't that make it harder to get on?".  

Then there are the sinks and hand dryers.  They are so low.  Is that because the seat in the wheelchair is low also.  If it is, that reinforces the seat so high question.  You would think that they would be about the same.  

I have not been there and I am sure there is a reason for it all.

El Toro Negro

No comments: