Saturday, June 6, 2009

Muchas Gracias

There are times while going through life that you think most things just suck.  You have problems left and right, nothing seems to go your way.  These times come and go and hopefully, if your lucky, you have many more good times than bad.  

One of the things that has concerned me a lot the last year or so is the direction that most of our politicians are steering this great nation.  Where have the Patriots gone?  In fact, I have just simply quit listening to the news the last couple of weeks.  Ya, burying my head in the sand.  I just can't take it anymore.  I can't believe that we are allowing them to take us were we are going.  It is our fault.  We chose it as a nation.

So among my many lamentations I came to realize that there are still things to be grateful for.  Let me tell you a few of my thoughts.  (I still hate what and were we are going.)

I live in a small town and I am sure that you would find this to be true in most every town in America.  That is what has perked my spirits recently.  You see, there are tons of good, decent, caring people all around us.  People that want nothing more that to work hard, have a family, treat people right and be treated right.

A couple of points.  It amazes me that there are people that are so giving.  I have taken notice of several.  They are mindful of their community and the people in it and give of there time to make it better for all.  I was a ball game yesterday and heard the ump talking.  He was explaining that he had had more games this week than any other, that he had been working out of town in a town that was the opposite direction from the town were the ball games are played, yet he was still there.  Sure he make a couple of bucks for his two hours.  It isn't much.  After having left early early for work, driver for ever there and back, he goes to help the kids of the town.  I appreciate that.

There is another group of people that put on the livestock show.  I can't tell you how many hours the sped to get everything just right.  How many phone calls, how many meetings.  All volunteer, just so the kids can have a chance to earn some money.  

My wife is someone I admire.  I often fuss about how much she does for others because it inconveniences me.  How selfish.  As I write she is out on the back of our place helping some girls learn some camping skills so they can qualify for a week long camp next week.  This after a long day of family activities.  This is just one example of her service and caring.  I could go on and on.

The old lady at church that has been teaching me Spanish also teaches several others.  She has been teaching them for about two years despite the fact that they are a bit slow at learning.  Doesn't matter.  She is there every week to keep teaching and encouraging.  Then she also teaches some Mexicans to speak English once a week.  I don't even know where she found them, but she has about five to seven women every week and is helping them learn.  

The PTA is another example.  Lots of hours.  Then there are all the churches.  They are forever having programs for the community, or a service project to help someone.  Think of all the boy scout/girl scout leaders out there that give of themselves so some young men/women can developed character and skills that will propel them into the future.  

It really gives me some encouragement when I stop crying about all that is wrong with things and focus on what is going right.  That doesn't mean that the wrong things shouldn't be fought and fixed, but it is nice to see the good in others.

So let me thank you.  If you are out there doing something selfless, trying to make a difference, no matter how small, I thank you and I applaud you.  You make the bad bearable and the good great.  You inspire not only me but so many to do more.  If you can do it so an I.  

El Toro Negro

2 comments:

FunnyMom said...

Kristie told me about your blog so I had to check it out! Tell Stacey and your Mom hello for me. We are moving back in August to Hilltop -- I'm sure we will see you guys soon!

Tina

FunnyMom said...

We are not at Camp Howdy -- we are camping out at the Houston Zoo this weekend! I let you guys know if we survive!
Tina