Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rubber Brush

Another thing that bothers me.  

We all, almost all, brush our teeth, our tooth.  Some even use toothpaste or teethpaste and we all know that it comes in a tube.  From time to time, especially if someone doesn't squeeze from the bottom, you have to move the toothpaste back up to the top of the tube.  Forever and ever I have used the end of my toothbrush (the end without the bristles) to "scrape" the tube and push the paste toward the spout.  I'm sure that everyone employs the same method, right?  

The problem I have run into in the past several years is that in an effort to make toothbrushes that sell better manufacturers have begun to put a rubber coating on the handle.  While this coating makes for incredibly clean and sparkly teeth, it does nothing for the pushing of the paste to the top of the tube and in fact, it prevents it.  The rubber coating prevents the toothbrush handle from sliding on the tube and therefore, you are left to roll the tube, which we all know doesn't work worth a hoot.  

If you put a slimy coating on the tube the rubber will slide, but who wants to put slobber on the toothpaste tube?  

My wife quit allowing me to cut the tube open in order to use every last bit of paste.  She said it was too redneck.  I pulled a vacuum on the tube and all the paste indeed came out, but then I had to try and convince my wife to suck on the tubing to get some paste.  It was a no go.  It was almost impossible to extract the paste from the tubing without sucking it out, and so I was back at square one.  

I hate to give up, but what am I to do?  I am trying to reconcile throwing away toothpaste with the financial crisis and climate crisis that we are in right now.  We all have to do our part, right?  I mean some people are having trouble putting gas in their cars.  You know the ones.  The ones with the latest cell phones, manicured nails, and $5000 dollar set of rims.  I'm having trouble sleeping at night.  I wonder if there are toothpaste credits I can buy?  


El Toro Negro

No comments: