Wednesday, January 7, 2009

They Say It's Your Birthday

I work with a bunch of young kids.  I say kids because most are in their twenties, and I am a bit older than them.  Their behavior often times confuses me, not that it is unexpected, but that I just don't understand what is so appealing about what they do. 

One guy in particular, not my buddy, always starts his stories at break with "we were so drunk", as if all he does is drink.  Perhaps that is what he does, every night.  Often times the story ends with some friend puking in his jeep, or at least having to stop on the side of the road to puke.  

One of the things that I find most curious is the asking off from work for your birthday.  They all seem to do it.  Why do you need off for your birthday?  We work part-time.  They get off in plenty of time to go out.  Now I know that they do it so that they can go out partying the night before, since we start work so early.  But why can't you wait till the weekend?  We never work on Saturday or Sunday.  Is their something about the day of your birth?  In reality we only have one birthday, then a lot of "anniversaries" of our birth.  

My wife hates this outlook on birthdays.  I play along with whatever she wants to do.  Parties, cakes, presents.  She claims that it is to show the person that you care for them and love them.  I guess that is as good a reason as any.  But I could never do what some people do, spend hundreds of dollars on one kids birthday.  Fancy restaurant, rent out the whole theater, take 20 friends to the amusement park.  What the heck?  But today so many kids run the home.  Ridiculous.

So have your day off for your birthday.  It's fine with me.  I just don't understand it.

El Toro Negro






No comments: